No Tox Laundry Powder

I've been making my own laundry powder for the past 8 years. I took a small break when we moved from our first house to our second when our oldest son was 18 months old. He constantly had his hand down his pants and I figured it was a boy thing. He was the only boy in my mothers group with around 12 babies in it, so I had no other new mummas to ask. Then one day my mum asked me if I thought it could be an allergic reaction to the new washing powder I was using. So I made new batch of my laundry powder and washed all his jocks and voila, the hands were no longer down his pants fiddling. Its such a simple recipe top make and use, and I like using a powder (although I want to play with a laundry liquid just for fun).


In here you will need to use either liquid castile soap or castile soap paste, the soap paste is much more concentrated so will give a deeper clean, but it is not necessary, I make it both ways, and they both give very good results. If you don't have access to, and don't want to make you own liquid castile soap/paste, you can grate up a bar of castile soap and melt it in a few cups of water. This is what I used to do before I made my own liquid castile soap.

You can find out how to make your own liquid castile soap here


You can find out how to make your own bar castile soap here


To make your laundry powder you will need

1/2C Liquid Castile Soap Or Soap Paste
2C Bicarbonate Of Soda
2C Washing Soda
2C Vinegar

Mix your washing soda and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl, add in the liquid castile soap or soap paste and rub through until it is evenly distributed. Add one cup of vinegar at a time mixing it in well, it will fizz and heat up this is the chemical reaction taking place. And yes I did say this was a recipe for laundry powder, it will become a solid again. Keep mixing until it is reasonably solid. You can either keep mixing it until it becomes a powder or come back in a few hours until it is completely dry and has cooled down and then break it up into chunks and blend in a food process/thermomix/blender. 

You can see the full process on how to make your own laundry powder here



Comments