Newspaper Pots Tutorial (Plastic Free)

As I was collecting my supplies to sow my summer seeds for my first summer season on the farm, I realised my stash of punnets from previously bough seedlings wasn't going to suffice. I considered purchasing jiffy pots, but the cost in doing so for how many I needed was a bit outrageous and went against the principle of being self sufficient which we want to live by.


After a bit of trusty googling I saw images of newspaper pots, but people were making them with special tools that you also had to purchase, and I didn't want to wait or outlay any money.


So I figured out a way to make these pots, super easily and efficiently (which is needed when you're intending to make thousands) with materials I had one hand (and you most likely have on hand). I've been lucky enough to inherit 2 large boxes of unwanted newspapers, if you don't purchase newspapers, or receive them in the mail, maybe you could approach a café, library or friends and family and see if you can take their unwanted newspapers.


You will need a stack of newspapers, a glass or bucket of water and a long narrow bottle, like my specialty oil bottle, or the inner of a toilet paper roll (which is how I first started making these, but did find they got a bit soggy after 20 or so pots and needed to be replaced).First you need pull out all the pages from your newspaper so they are all individual. I have the pages folded in half so they are 2 ply.



First you need to get your 2 ply newspaper page and fold it in half to make a 4 ply rectangle. 


Wrap the rectangle of newspaper around your bottle or toilet paper inner.


Leaving some overhang to fold in later


Dip the overhang in your glass or bucket of water to moisten the ends.


Fold in one third of the moistened overhang, preferably where the end of the newspaper rests to secure it in place




Fold in the next 2 thirds


And here is the completed pot. Just fill with your homemade or bought potting mix and plant your seeds.


Once your seedlings have grown just plant the entire pot in the ground unfolding the bottom to allow the roots to grow down. The newspaper will compost and your seedling will be undisturbed. 


Comments