An Update - Moving In - From Suburbia To A Homestead

It's been nearly 2 weeks since we made the big move from suburbia to the farm. We finally have internet so vlogging and the website can now be published more frequently.

This move was the easiest move I've had in the 3 times I've moved as an adult. From obtaining finance, selling our home, buying our new home, packing and moving all our stuff over, there wasn't one issue. We purchased a shipping container to pack our home into and the slightest hiccup was when they struggled to get it onto the back of the truck. Thankfully that issue was quickly resolved and we were able to make our way onto the farm. It looked like it was going to snow on moving day, thankfully the snow and most of the rain held off as we moved the majority of our belongings inside. We had lots of help from friends which made the day more fun and much easier!



 The first few days we concentrated on unpacking and cleaning the house, we still have the bedrooms to complete two weeks in, but the majority of the house if unpacked and functioning. We've also been concentrating on collecting firewood to increase our stores. There wasn't much left in the wood shed so we have made the most of the firewood collection period in our local state forest. The collection period ends in a few days so we will hopefully get out there one more time this season.


In between unpacking I escaped to the veggie patch. My priority was planting over 200 garlic bulbs, I did this last year and I have enough garlic to last me the year, I'm hoping this season will be just as plentiful. While I was in the garden I finished clearing out all their summer crops and planted some of the expired seeds I found scattered all over the property! There were seeds in the kitchen, laundry, garden shed and another shed. Hopefully some of them sprout, if not nothing was lost. I planted leek, onions, parsnips, lettuce, carrots, beetroot, spinach, more onions, spring onions, peas, snow peas, turnips and sweeds.


Comments